Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Gnarls Barkley iTunes Celebrity Playlist


1. Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On You
Before I met Screamin' Jay, I had not considered insanity as an option. He made it look so good that I eventually decided to dabble in it myself. In his music, I hear all my fondest hopes for all those people who guard their sanity too closely.

2. The Marvelettes - The Hunter Gets Captures by the Game
Had the game been captured by the hunter, the story would not have been so intriguing.

3. Love - You Set the Scene
'If you want she brings you water / If you don't then you will burn.' I have always thought that burning must be one of the most painful ways to go. Luckily, on both occasions that my jacket caught on fire, there was water available. Perhaps I somehow willed it thus. But it could be coincidence.

4. Midlake - Roscoe
A certain amount of rain must necessarily fall. And although they are easily taken for granted, the wise among us will think of the roofs over their heads, ponder how they came to be there, and be grateful to those who sacrificed for our abundance. When I get caught outside in the rain, I often whistle this song, and it always gives me comfort.

5. Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning
The unity of all things presents itself as a riddle. Sometimes it appears weeping, sometimes in playful disguise. Many have covered this song, and for good reason.

6. Sparklehorse - Piano Fire
I understand that this song, from the solemn and beautiful It's a Wonderful Life LP, was inspired by an actual piano fire. Although I did not have the pleasure of witnessing the fire itself, I have the pleasure of calling Mark Linkous. His soulful eccentricity will see him through.

7. The Monkees - Porpoise Song (Theme from "Head")
If you remember being on the set as Head was filmed, you weren't there. I don't remember being there, so I cannot say whether I was there or not. The years have not dulled its brilliance.

8. Daniele Luppi - Fetish Quartet
Mr. Luppi and I, we go way back. Over the years, he has been a powerful creative influence and a treasured friend. I am deeply in his debt. I promise than I was repay him the next time our paths cross, if I am able.

9. The 5th Dimension - Sunshine of Your Love
Better than the first four dimensions combined.

10. James Brown - It's a Man's, Man's, Man's World
In the wake of his recent passing, I am still collecting my thoughts of Mr. Brown. When I listen to this song now, I am touched with nostalgia, for Mr. Brown's outsized personality and talent, and for the women whose affection has given me strength. Time moves on, but when we say it loud, with the whole of our beings, we touch something timeless.

11. J-Zone & Dick $tallion - Disco Ho
When I hear this song, I am touched with nostalgia. For the fleeting absurdity of the disco era, and for the women whose affection has given me strength. It takes great wisdom to get this ig'nant.

The Gnarls Barkley Celebrity Playlist